According to the Old Testament Moses descended from Mount Sinai with two stone tablets inscribed with 17 Commandments and although the adopted son of the pharoah was the only man in the crowd who could read, Yahweh deigned not to write in Egyptian, so there could have been a thousand commandments for all Moses or Charlton Heston knew in the DeMille's version of THE TEN COMMANDMENT.
The re-interpretation in the ensuing millenia have whittled the 17 to 10, although the late comedian George Carlin shrank the list to One Commandment 'THOU SHALT KEEP THY RELIGION TO THYSELF!!!' I have religiously obeyed his non-divine edict, as have an increasing number of non-believers, however American education has ignored Judeo-Christian thought for the last half-century along with geography, history, math, art, PE, and any science with an -ology at the end of the word. People know less and less. Few can complete all the Ten Commandment, however anyone can resurrect the list by going to ask.jeeves.com and the interactive website had come up with its own list called the Ten Unanswerables, which are the following.
1. What is the meaning of life?
2. Is there a God?
3. Do blondes have more fun?
4. What is the best diet?
5. Is there anybody out there?
6. Who is the most famous person in the world?
7. What is love?
8. What is the secret to happiness?
9. Did Tony Soprano die?
10. How long will I live?Having recovered from my Friday night occupation of a bar stool at Solas on East 10th Street, I will try to provide Ten Answers for the Ten Unaswerables.
1. The meaning of life is simple. Live today for tomorrow you die.
2. There certainly isn't a bearded God wearing a muumuu in the clouds.
3. Blondes have more fun, if you like blondes.
4. The best diet is excess in moderation.
5. There are plenty of anybodies out there. They just don't know where we are.
6. The famous person in the world is Andre the Giant. To me at least.
7. Love is like pornography, I know it when I feel it.
8. The secret to happiness is loving yourself and the world around you. Even in North Philadelphia, which can be a very bad place.
9. Death on TV is cancellation. Even Tony Soprano can't escape swimming with the fish on TV.
10. Everyone lives until they die. See answer one.
Not trying to be smart, for anyone who thinks that he has heard all the answers has not heard all the questions.